The roots of Murrells Inlet Presbyterian Church began in the early 1900s when Mr. and Mrs. WD Johnson moved from Marion, SC to Murrells Inlet and found no place for Sunday worship without traveling a distance over bad roads. So in 1912 the Johnsons and a small group of other residents began worshiping in a small local school house. After a fire destroyed the school house they met in the Johnson home until a new schoolhouse was built. Rev. J M Lemmon, pastor of Kingston Presbyterian Church in Conway, started serving the faithful congregants twice a month in 1924.
Led by lumber mill owner, Mr. JW Little, who donated most of the needed materials, money was raised for the construction of a church for the growing congregation. The one acre building site was donated by Mrs. Johnson, and the chapel was soon completed. The Little Chapel, in honor of Mr. JW Little, was dedicated on June 21, 1925 with 20 charter members of Pee Dee Presbytery.
In 1964 the church was transferred to the New Harmony Presbytery and planning was begun for a new church building. The new building was completed and the sanctuary dedicated on August 30, 1970. The church name was changed to Murrells Inlet Presbyterian Church.
In January 1995, much of the church building was destroyed by fire, leaving the sanctuary standing but heavily damaged. The church was rebuilt with additional and larger classrooms and offices, and was dedicated on August 27, 1995. The beautiful stained glass windows in the sanctuary were donated by a member and installed at this time.